Creating a Venue, Not a Vault (thanks to Alex Daley)

 


In one of Alex Daley's blog posts ("The Knowledge Base That Won't Sit Still"), she makes an excellent point about structuring social media content as a venue, not a vault.

In reading through the Young and Rossmann article "Building Library Community Through Social Media", it discusses the successful 2012 effort by the Montana State University Library to create a social media group that would shift their social media activity from automated posts that lacked personality to hand-crafted posts intended to be welcoming, energetic and connect with students & build community.

Their focus on their goals, audience and voice were all great reminders that the most effective social media platforms are designed to support relationships, not just focus on marketing and promotion.

These themes tied back well to my discovery from the examination of Roblox and Zepeto that users generally remain engaged when their online life is a supported version of their offline life, rather than just an escape from their analog world.

This insight has been one of the most interesting and helpful discoveries to come from our class material and will be critical as I work toward building content for a knowledge sharing platform going forward.

Comments

  1. Flattered to read that you found value in my blog post. That Roblox/Zepeto line is the one I keep chewing on. Online life as a supported version of offline life, not an escape from it. Honestly, that's a sharper test than anything I put in my post, and I'm a little annoyed I didn't get there first.
    And look how neatly it maps onto Montana State! Those librarians didn't win by posting more — they won by sounding like someone the students already recognized. Same idea, different room.
    Okay, here's my gentle push. You say this'll be critical as you build content for your knowledge sharing platform going forward — but what does that actually look like on day one? Because "venue, not vault" is really easy to nod along to and really hard to build. The first real decision is usually the unglamorous one: who answers the first question out in the open, and what happens to that thread six weeks later when somebody asks the exact same thing again.

    So tell me — what's the platform, and whose offline life is it supposed to support? Nail that down and the voice and the recirculation stuff mostly sorts itself out. Whatever you land on, I'm stealing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that!!
      So ... I have learned (in my in-person instruction) that I am prone to making assumptions about where learners begin. And they rarely feel comfortable enough to ask the questions that let me know I need to slow down, and create a good foundational baseline, before zooming off into new content.
      Thats where your observation hit me ... I need to make sure my tone is welcoming to newcomers and balance knowledge with an open approach to participation. Lots of open chairs in the "venue".
      My platform for my project will be Instagram and it will be an introduction to visiting the Florida springs - especially for women with children. I will try to cover all the bases as I introduce my audience to the various springs and use a dashboard to rate everything from safety to bathrooms to cost to make them feel comfortable exploring.
      But I am also going to include the times when things went sideways. And I will probably hit up a few friends to "break the ice" with comments/questions.
      I am also creating a "mascot" - a little otter friend - who may end up being the one to answer questions.
      Because ... who doesn't love an otter?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Mark Rober and CrunchLabs

PLN Visual Challenge

Read the Room