Peeking Into Two Rooms - Roblox and Zepeto
Since Roblox plays such a large part in the lives of several elementary and middle school age children I know, I wanted to better understand their interest and motivation of playing and/or creating in the metaverse.
Were they trying to escape their lives or were they expressing themselves on a digital platform?
The Hurr & Baek (2024) article provided an interesting insight into users' motivations and likelihood of continued interaction with the platform.
Interestingly, users motivated by escapism (or self-suppression) were much more likely to discontinue using the platforms, while those motivated by creative expression (or self-expansion) tended to stay engaged longer.
I was encouraged by the data that showed how much content creation is involved, rather than passive consumption. Many of us who are older and don't participate in the metaverse have the perception that time spent on these platforms is "brain dead" or makes the user "zone out".
It appears, however, that this is not the case. The culture of these digital worlds rewards competition, creativity and content creation, providing more potential for thoughtful engagement than I imagined.

It's reassuring that the article iterated findings of continued use from players motivated by creative expression. I think there's still a common misconception that kids, when they play video games, are using them as a substitute for real-world problems, but that's clearly not the case... especially in these digital worlds that are HUGE. I can't recall the quote, but I remember seeing a reel of a child psychologist offhandedly mentioning that the Roblox universe is x amount times as big as Kyoto, Japan. It's crazy- this implies that the users will be exposed to a lot... and that's the main concern from most parents and teachers. But ultimately, you're right that the digital worlds reward a positive social climate and a culture that encourages creativity and fun.
ReplyDelete