In Praise of Khan Academy
I have a confession to make: I was in the front row when Khan Academy debuted.
My daughter, Ava, was a junior in high school, taking advanced classes but frustrated by a pace dictated by the slowest learners and compressed on the topics that interested her most. She turned to the internet, and discovered online lectures - and those led her to the early Khan Academy YouTube videos.
Trying to figure out what she was up to, I hovered over her shoulder.
Within ten minutes, I realized two things:
- Math has changed since the 1990s.
- Salman Khan may have saved our sanity.
I appreciate so many elements of the platform. The welcoming tone, the pacing, the clean graphics, the multi-media presentation. There is no shame in not understanding something immediately. Just calm, patient explanations that make intimidating subjects feel manageable.
Need help with AI? Algebra? Physics? Economics? Art history? Computer programming? They have all of it. FOR FREE.
What made Khan Academy work so well for Ava was the approach many educators and parents forget: confidence comes before mastery.
Lessons are broken into manageable pieces. Students can pause, rewind, retry and practice without the social pressure of a classroom. Nobody is embarrassed for asking the same question three times. Nobody is trying to keep up with the fastest kid in the room or slowed down. Learning becomes self-paced exploration instead of public performance.
As an ISLT graduate student, I probably should say something sophisticated here about scaffolding, learner autonomy and mastery-based progression.
But honestly? It's just interesting, fun and empowering.
I especially appreciate that Khan Academy does not try to dazzle students with complicated graphics or frantic animations. No overloaded interfaces. No “engagement strategies.” It trusts curiosity enough to let learning itself be interesting.
In a world where so many digital platforms compete for attention by becoming louder or more intricate, Khan Academy quietly makes learning more welcoming and accessible.
And while it is designed for students, adults may be the next major audience. I have often found myself wandering down educational rabbit holes. One minute I am helping with geometry; thirty minutes later I am relearning how inflation works.
If only this had existed in the 1990s!

Kim, I found your observation about simplicity very insightful. In a digital world full of overstimulation and constant attempts to capture attention, Khan Academy succeeds by doing the opposite: it trusts curiosity and focuses on clarity. Your post reminded me that effective educational technology does not always need flashy features or complicated engagement strategies. Sometimes, accessibility, patience, and thoughtful instructional design are what truly make learning meaningful and empowering.
ReplyDeleteYes! And the thing is ... simplicity is actually pretty hard. I often remember the story of when Steve Jobs famously went through dozens of versions of white for the Apple products until he found just the right one. When you are designing something "simple", the elements that remain have to be exactly right. That is why I think instructional design will survive AI ... intentionality, relatability, and resonance are are deeply human elements critical to creating effective educational technology.
ReplyDelete